Battle for the 25th Century

 I've started introducing my boys to the games I liked as a Kid.

I started with space 4X. I played MoO1 and MoO2. Those games are dated so I introduced them to what I consider the spiritual successors. 

For MoO1 it is Sword of the Stars, for streamlined management and a focus on war, not building like almost all other 4Xs. 

For MoO2 it is stars in shadow. It is a building focused game. Its building system is much improved from MoO2. It didn't bother me at the time, but it is a micromanagement hell. Stars in Shadow has an interesting system without a universal solution. It would be perfect if it had an additional top economic layer like slipways.

However, the love of my life doesn't like them spending so much screen time. She has a point. Kids need blue skys for good eyes. As much as I liked those games, my development might have been better served with more social entertainment.

So I decided instead to buy my kids a space strategy board game. It turns out that they don't make games like that anymore. Between computers games open table top games I guess there isn't much of a market for this type of game anymore. So I bought Battle for the 25th Century off of e-bay, that i dimly recalled playing when I was five, before we moved. When we got it, I recalled having turned Venus into a fortress planet to the frustration of my brother who tried in vain to get me to see that fortifying one planet had no paths to victory.

Anyways, my kids love it. There is just the two of them. I've told them to paint the minis - not a full workup but detailing like faction color, grey weapons, silvered windshields etc.  I played with them once, but its hard with a baby and a toddler to attend to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming First - Frog stroke

coQ-10

Third Nephi Parallels